The online Master of Library Science at Appalachian
The Master of Library Science at Appalachian State University is a flexible, online program that helps you define your role as a leading information professional.
With a highly interactive curriculum designed to challenge and engage you while remaining convenient for the working professional, as a graduate of this Online Education program, you will be uniquely prepared for a career in school and/or rural libraries.
Completion of the Master of Library Science program entitles the graduate to apply for licensure (076 Media Coordinator) from the State of North Carolina as well as Public Librarian Certification from the North Carolina Public Librarian Certification Commission.
It is nationally recognized by the American Association of School Librarians (AASL) and nationally accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP).
App State Online: Keep your life… Change your future
- This program blends synchronous (set meeting times in an online classroom) and asynchronous (with coursework completed on your schedule) courses
- Completion time: two years
- Click for course information.
- A dual-master’s degree is available with the Master of Arts in Educational Media. Please refer questions to the program contact.
(Note: Not all courses listed may be delivered to App State Online students. Refer curriculum questions to the program contact.)
Eligibility and application requirements
- hold a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university
- meet Graduate School admission criteria
Note: Completing this program entitles students to apply for Public Librarian Certification from the North Carolina Public Librarian Certification Commission; in addition, students who hold NC “A” licensure and present passing scores on the specialty area PRAXIS/NTE are entitled to apply for 076 Media Coordinator Licensure from the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction. Students who do not hold a valid North Carolina teaching license will be required to take additional coursework and internship hours in order to seek 076 licensure.
GRE or MAT scores are required for entry into this program unless the applicant has a GPA of 3.4 or better; or:
- Five or more years experience in a public library or a school with a supporting letter of recommendation from a supervisor
- Completed online application to graduate school
- Official transcripts must be submitted showing any completed degrees and transcripts showing any coursework completed at institutions other than Appalachian in the last five years
- Three references
- Application fee
This is a program that can lead to licensure or certification. Appalachian State University cannot confirm whether this program will meet the requirements for professional licensure in other states or territories.
If this applies to you, check the U.S. Department of Education for information on licensure requirements and licensing agencies in other states. Or, you may address questions to State Authorization at Appalachian at firstname.lastname@example.org or 828-262-7559.