The online Master of Health Administration at Appalachian
The Master of Health Administration online program at Appalachian State University connects busy professionals with the knowledge and skills to lead health care organizations — without having to relocate.
This degree embodies Appalachian’s mission by preparing students to lead purposeful lives as engaged health care executives who are eager to acquire and create knowledge, promote a spirit of inclusion, communicate effectively and think critically. As a graduate, you will be prepared to advance your management career in a variety of health care organizations, including, but not limited to, hospitals, long-term care, urgent care, research facilities, mental health, bio-tech organizations and medical health equipment companies.
In addition to a strong core curriculum in general health administration, students have two possible areas of focus: health care leadership and health information systems.
App State Online: Keep your life… Change your future
- The Health Care Leadership concentration focuses on leadership in health care as well as health care operations management. Click for course information.
- The Information Systems concentration focuses on data analytics and data management in health care. Click for course information.
(Note: Not all courses listed may be delivered to App State Online students. Refer curriculum questions to the program contact.)
- Mostly online asynchronous course work
- One-to-three classes per semester, year-round, depending on full-time or part-time option
- Students will spend no more than 1.5 days (Friday and Saturday) per semester on the Appalachian campus.
- Completion time: two years (full time) or three years (part time)
Eligibility and application requirements
- hold a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution.
- be currently employed in a health care setting
- meet Graduate School admission criteria
Note: Preference will be given to applicants with at least two years of work experience and who have satisfactory completion of coursework in financial accounting and statistics (at least 3 credit hours) at the undergraduate or graduate level.
GRE or GMAT scores are required for entry into this program unless the applicant has a GPA of 3.0 or better; and
- Five or more years of paid, full-time work experience of which three or more are in a health care setting. Employment verification letters must be submitted for your employers if applying for an entrance exam waiver. These letters should have the applicant’s name, dates of employment, verification of full-time employment and job title.
- Completed online application to the graduate school
- Official transcripts must be submitted showing any completed degrees and transcripts showing any coursework completed at institutions other than Appalachian in the last five years
- Application fee
- Personal statement including career goals and personal experience in health care
- Three letters of reference pertaining to academic ability, professional competence and personal character