The online Nursing RN to BSN program at App State
Of the nearly 3 million nurses* in the United States workforce today, 50 percent of registered nurses hold a bachelor’s degree.
Appalachian’s RN to BSN program provides a flexible, affordable and practical pathway for working RNs to complete 100 percent of their coursework online in one year and position themselves for advancement in a growing field.
App State Online: Change your future.
*Data: Health Resources and Services Administration
Interested in learning more?
Join us for an App State Online Information Session.
- 30 semester hours of Appalachian course work, taken in the fall, spring and summer
- Non-traditional clinicals involving class projects and research
- Completion time: one year
- Click to view mandatory Appalachian nursing compliance requirements (.doc)
- Click for course information
(Not every course listed may be delivered to App State Online students, but you will be offered all courses required for the degree.)
Want to know if you are ready to apply? Use the tool below to self-evaluate whether you meet our program entry requirements.
The following criteria are required for entry:
- Transfer Admission to the university
- Hold an Associate in Applied Science degree in Nursing, an Associate Degree in Nursing (from a regionally accredited institution) or a Diploma in Nursing from a regionally accredited hospital nursing program
- Hold a current, unrestricted and unencumbered registered nurse (RN) license to practice nursing in North Carolina or a compact state
- Have a cumulative GPA of 2.5 calculated over all college coursework (cumulative GPA as calculated by the Department of Nursing)
- Complete 60 hours of lower-division coursework (RN to BSN Required Core, Cognate Courses, elective courses) and 30 hours of major nursing courses
Visit our transfer equivalency course search to see how your previous coursework transfers to Appalachian.
Learn more about additional courses for entry
This is a program that can lead to licensure or certification in North Carolina. Appalachian State University cannot confirm whether this program will meet the requirements for professional licensure in other states or territories.
If this applies to you, check the Professional Licensure webpage for information on licensure requirements and licensing agencies in other states. Or, you may address questions to State Authorization at App State at email@example.com or 828-262-7559.