About the App State Online Social Work Degree
Social justice. Social work.
Channel your desire for social justice while learning to combine compassion, policy and process to improve the lives of others with App State’s Bachelor of Social Work program (BSW). Our Council on Social Work Education (CSWE)-accredited BSW signals to employers that you graduated from a program that meets high standards in preparing you for the field.
Become a champion for others through our research-based curriculum that includes the social, economic and political processes involved in the development and change of social service institutions as well as the dynamics of human behavior.
We provide an engaging online learning environment that promotes personal development, scientific inquiry, and the professional values of the social work profession. Gain the knowledge you need to serve diverse clients and communities in a variety of human service agencies, providing direct services and advocating for human rights and social and economic justice.
Explore the Beaver College of Health Science website for more information on the Social Work program.
This program blends synchronous (set meeting times in an online classroom) and asynchronous (with coursework completed on your schedule) courses.
You’ll take online BSW courses such as:
- Social Work Practice with Communities and Organizations
- Social Justice Practice Across the Profession
- Human Behavior and the Social Environment
In addition to classes in discipline-specific skills, a well-rounded general education curriculum provides you with skills that enrich your abilities in the workplace.
Review general education requirements, which must be met before graduation.
See the complete BSW online curriculum, including course descriptions.
App State’s online BSW program admits both first-year college students and transfer students from other degree or social work programs. Find more information on application requirements below.
- If you are a current high school senior or haven't attended college since graduating high school (including Early/Middle college applicants), review First-Year Admission Requirements.
- If you have completed college coursework since graduating high school (including military service member or veteran and second-degree seeking applicants), review Transfer Admission Requirements. Visit our transfer equivalency course search to see how your previous coursework transfers to the App State Online program.
- If you have previously taken classes at App State and would like to re-enroll, review our Readmissions Requirements.
App State BSW Career Outcomes
Social workers are highly sought after. The Bureau of Labor Statistics projects the number of available positions increasing by 12% over by 2030 — faster than the average for all professions.
More than 700,000 social workers are employed in the United States alone. If you’re looking to enter a profession that is in demand and gives you the opportunity to do meaningful work focused on helping others, a social work career could be the perfect choice.
Pathway to Social Work Licensure
Appalachian State programs that lead to a professional licensure or certificate are intended to prepare students for licensure or certification in North Carolina. Check the Professional Licensure webpage for information on licensure requirements in other states.
Learn More about App State’s Online BSW
If you’re interested in a flexible, online BSW degree that leads to certification and prepares you for an advanced career in social work, join us for an App State Online Information Session.
Apply to the Online BSW
Our flexible, online BSW degree program is designed to train future professionals through expert instruction and hands-on field practices.
You were meant to help others. Take the next step by applying today.