The online Master of Science in Nursing program at Appalachian
Expand your nursing knowledge with Appalachian State University’s flexible, online Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) program.
This program prepares you for educator roles in practice settings and for academic positions in nursing programs.
Your studies will emphasize educational creativity, nursing practice, leadership and research through a methodology approach that focuses on the preparation of the MSN-RN as a nurse educator. After completing this Online Education program, you will be able to teach using simulation and a wide variety of methodologies in academic, staff development and/or patient care settings.
You will be connected to faculty who will help integrate holistic best practices into education offerings for individuals and groups in academic, patient care and staff development settings.
App State Online: Keep your life… Change your future
- Nursing instructor
- Nurse consultant
- Nursing trainer
- Online classes, offered once during the duration of the program
- Field work practicum required
- Completion time: two years
- Click for course information
(Note: Not all courses listed may be delivered to App State Online students. Refer curriculum questions to the program contact.)
Eligibility and Application Requirements
- hold a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) from an accredited college or university with a minimum of 3.0 GPA, accredited by the National League for Nursing (NLNAC) or the Commission of Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) or a student who is a graduate of an accredited associate degree nursing program or diploma nursing program with a baccalaureate degree in another field
- have satisfactory performance on the GRE or MAT within the past five years; GRE preferred (Click for entrance exam waiver eligibility)
- have a current, unrestricted RN license in North Carolina or a state participating in the Nurse Licensure Compact (NLC) with North Carolina.
- have bachelor’s or post-bachelor’s coursework that includes satisfactory completion (grade of C or higher) of a course in descriptive and inferential statistics (basic biostatistics)
- have bachelor’s or post-bachelor’s coursework that includes satisfactory completion (grade of C or higher) of a course in research methodologies
- have at least one year of nursing experience before matriculation
- meet Graduate School admission criteria
NOTE: Criminal Background checks may be required for practicum experiences.
- Completed online application to graduate school
- Resume (uploaded as part of the online application)
- Official (sealed or electronic) transcript from each college or university attended (other than Appalachian)
- Application fee
- Personal statement including career goals and philosophy of nursing.
- Three letters of academic or professional reference
Out of State Licensure
Appalachian cannot confirm whether this professional licensure program will meet the requirements for professional licensure outside North Carolina; therefore, prior to enrollment, if you intend to practice in another state, you must determine if this program meets requirements for licensure in your state by contacting your appropriate licensing agencies.