The online Birth through Kindergarten Graduate Certificate at App State
The Birth through Kindergarten (BK) Graduate Certificate will provide you with a pathway to instruct and work with infants, toddlers, preschool and kindergarten children.
This online graduate certificate is founded on the constructivist theory and the pedagogical practices of Reggio Emilia. The coursework is designed to prepare you with in-depth knowledge and the ability to articulate how children develop and learn in context across a variety of settings.
This program promotes developmentally appropriate inclusive and collaborative teaching practices. Appalachian graduates specialize in providing engaging instruction and support to young children and their families.
Upon completion of this certificate, you will be eligible to apply for the NC Birth through Kindergarten (BK) licensure.
- Completion time: 18-24 months
- Two classes per semester in the fall and spring
- Click for course information
- All App State education programs that lead to an initial licensure or a similar credential require a Clinical Internship at a North Carolina public school. Learn more.
Eligibility and application requirements
- hold a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with a minimum 2.7 GPA
- Meet Graduate School admission criteria
- Completed online application to graduate school
- Application fee
- Unofficial transcripts (or evaluated transcripts for degrees and coursework earned outside of the United States) should be uploaded showing any completed degrees and coursework.
Note: Official transcripts will be required prior to enrolling.
Note: Test scores are not required for this program.
Appalachian State programs that lead to a professional licensure or certificate are intended to prepare students for licensure or certification in North Carolina. Check the Professional Licensure webpage for information on licensure requirements in other states.