The online Birth through Kindergarten Graduate Certificate at Appalachian
The Birth through Kindergarten (BK) Graduate Certificate will provide you with a pathway to instruct and work with infants, toddlers, preschool and kindergarten children.
This online graduate certificate is founded on the constructivist theory and the pedagogical practices of Reggio Emilia. The coursework is designed to prepare you with in-depth knowledge and the ability to articulate how children develop and learn in context across a variety of settings.
This program promotes developmentally appropriate inclusive and collaborative teaching practices. Appalachian graduates specialize in providing engaging instruction and support to young children and their families.
Upon completion of this certificate, you will be eligible to apply for the NC Birth through Kindergarten (BK) licensure.
App State Online: Change your future.
- Completion time: 18-24 months
- Two classes per semester, including summer
- Click for course information
* All Appalachian State University Education programs that lead to licensure or a similar credential require multiple site-based field experiences throughout the program as well as on-campus and regional meetings prior to and during the Clinical Internship. Learn more.
Eligibility and application requirements
- hold a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with a minimum 2.7 GPA
- Meet Graduate School admission criteria
- Completed online application to graduate school
- Application fee
- Official transcripts must be submitted showing any completed degrees and transcripts showing any coursework completed at institutions other than Appalachian in the last five years
Note: Test scores are not required for this program.
This is a program that can lead to licensure or certification. Appalachian State University cannot confirm whether this program will meet the requirements for professional licensure in other states or territories.
If this applies to you, check the U.S. Department of Education for information on licensure requirements and licensing agencies in other states. Or, you may address questions to State Authorization at Appalachian at firstname.lastname@example.org or 828-262-7559.