The online Bachelor of Science in Middle Grades Education degree at App State
The Bachelor of Science in Middle Grades Education program at Appalachian State University will help you instill your students with a love of learning and help them gain confidence as they grow into teenagers and young adults.
The curriculum emphasizes strong academic preparation grounded in a liberal arts tradition, discipline studies and pedagogical studies.
Successful completion of this program prepares you for a rewarding new career and leads to North Carolina state licensure in middle grades education, teaching grades 6-8.
App State Online: Change your future.
Interested in learning more?
Join us for an App State Online Information Session.
- Middle grades social studies teacher
- Middle grades science teacher
- Science and social studies: Click for course information
(Not every course listed may be delivered to App State Online students, but you will be offered all courses required for the degree.)
- Student teaching is completed during the last semester, full time in a classroom setting. You will work with the department to select your student teaching location.
You may enter this program as a first-year or transfer student.
- If you are a current high school senior or haven't attended college since graduating high school (including Early/Middle college applicants), review First-Year Admission Requirements.
- If you have completed college coursework since graduating high school (including military service member or veteran and second-degree seeking applicants), review Transfer Admission Requirements. Visit our transfer equivalency course search to see how your previous coursework transfers to Appalachian.
- If you have previously taken classes at App State and would like to re-enroll, review our Readmissions Requirements
- Before beginning your Clinical Internship, you must also have met Appalachian’s General Education requirements.
- Admission to Teacher Education is required by the end of the first year in the program.
All Appalachian State University Education programs that lead to licensure or a similar credential require multiple site-based field experiences throughout the program as well as on-campus and regional meetings prior to and during the Clinical Internship. Learn more.
This is a program that can lead to licensure or certification in North Carolina. Appalachian State University cannot confirm whether this program will meet the requirements for professional licensure in other states or territories.
If this applies to you, check the Professional Licensure webpage for information on licensure requirements and licensing agencies in other states. Or, you may address questions to State Authorization at App State at email@example.com or 828-262-7559.