The hybrid Master of Social Work degree at Appalachian
Appalachian State University’s Master of Social Work program serves as a launching pad to help you make a positive change in the community.
This App State Online program provides you with advanced practice and intervention skills to empower yourself and others.
The Master of Social Work curriculum prepares you to step into management or supervisory roles, leading others to offer effective social work services.
Conduct research that can make a direct impact on the livelihood of many individuals and learn to foster relationships with people who need you the most.
App State Online: Keep your life… Change your future.
- Substance abuse counselor
- Medical social worker
- Child welfare case worker
- School social worker
- The Individuals and Families concentration is designed for those who intend to go into advanced direct and clinical practice. Click for course information.
- The Community and Organizational Practice concentration prepares you for advanced practice in the range of settings that focus on social problems and social change at the community, organizational and societal levels. Click for course information.
(Note: Not all courses listed may be delivered to App State Online students. Refer curriculum questions to the program contact.)
- Instruction is delivered with some face-to-face instruction and some online instruction. The face to face component of the courses is taught in the evenings.
- This program is 33 hours for Advanced Standing students. If you have earned a Bachelor of Social Work degree from a CSWE-accredited university within the past seven years and have a 3.2 grade point average in your undergraduate courses, you may apply for the Advanced Standing program.
- Completion time: Two years
Eligibility and Application Requirements
- hold a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university
- meet Graduate School admission criteria
GRE scores are required for entry into this program unless the applicant has:
- A GPA of 3.2 or higher in social work major courses
- Completed online application to graduate school
- Application fee
- Official transcripts must be submitted showing any completed degrees and transcripts showing any coursework completed at institutions other than Appalachian in the last five years
- A personal statement
- Three references
- Program selection form
This is a program that can lead to licensure or certification. Appalachian State University cannot confirm whether this program will meet the requirements for professional licensure in other states or territories.
If this applies to you, check the U.S. Department of Education for information on licensure requirements and licensing agencies in other states. Or, you may address questions to State Authorization at Appalachian at firstname.lastname@example.org or 828-262-7559.
Request More Information
Hear from an Alumnus
“For this working father of three, school was not an option unless it was flexible, affordable, well respected by employers and the community, and close enough for in-person access. Appalachian’s hybrid program allowed me to obtain my degree with once-weekly evening classroom meetings and online assignment coordination. I obtained my MSW and received gifts of professional and personal growth through professors that invested in fostering the confidence and competence needed to excel in both my profession and life.”
– Tristan Killian ‘19