The online CTE undergraduate degree at App State
App State Online offers the only degree program in the state of North Carolina licensing Career and Technical Education (CTE) teachers. Graduates of the CTE undergraduate degree program will be in extremely high demand, both here in North Carolina and across the nation.
CTE is essential because all learners need to be prepared for today’s job market. Backed by Appalachian’s renowned Reich College of Education, this program provides teachers with the knowledge to help their students close the skills gap.
This is your opportunity to seize your passion and turn it into a CTE undergraduate degree. CTE teachers get to teach highly relevant subjects to students at both the middle and high school levels, showing today’s youth how to use the latest technologies and compete in business and industry. In addition, graduates of the CTE undergraduate degree program may choose to enter the industry as trainers, community colleges and career centers as instructors, and cooperative extension agencies.
App State Online: Change your future.
Interested in learning more?
Join us for an App State Online Information Session.
- Business, Finance and Information Technology Education: Teach courses like Business Law, Computer Applications, Sports Marketing and Computer Networking. Click for course information.
- Business, Marketing and Entrepreneurship Education: Teach courses like Entrepreneurship, Hospitality & Tourism, Fashion Merchandising and Sports & Entertainment Marketing. Click for course information.
- Technology, Engineering and Design Education: Teach courses like Game Art, Design, Robotics, Principles of Engineering and Technological Systems. Click for course information.
- Trade and Industry Education: Teach courses like Digital Media, Drafting, Automotive, Carpentry or Welding at the Secondary or Post-secondary level. Click for course information.
- Family & Consumer Sciences Education: Teach courses like Apparel & Textiles, Interior Design, Parenting, Foods & Nutrition, Early Childhood Education and Principles of Family and Human Services. Click for course information.
- Agriculture Education: This concentration requires some coursework to be completed at Wilkes Community College. Click for course information.
Note: Not all courses listed may be delivered to App State Online students. Refer curriculum questions to the program contact.
- This program blends synchronous (set meeting times in an online classroom) and asynchronous (with coursework completed on your schedule) courses.
- Student teaching is completed during the last semester, full time in a classroom setting. You will work with the department to select your student teaching location.
You may enter this program as a first-year or transfer student.
- If you are a current high school senior or haven't attended college since graduating high school (including Early/Middle college applicants), review First-Year Admission Requirements.
- If you have completed college coursework since graduating high school (including military service member or veteran and second-degree seeking applicants), review Transfer Admission Requirements. Visit our transfer equivalency course search to see how your previous coursework transfers to Appalachian.
- If you have previously taken classes at App State and would like to re-enroll, review our Readmissions Requirements
During the program, students must meet the following requirements:
- Before finishing this program, you must also have met Appalachian’s General Education requirements.
- Admission to Teacher Education is required by the end of the first year in the program.
- All Appalachian State University Education programs that lead to licensure or a similar credential require multiple site-based field experiences throughout the program as well as on-campus and regional meetings prior to and during the Clinical Internship. Learn more.
This is a program that can lead to licensure or certification in North Carolina. Appalachian State University cannot confirm whether this program will meet the requirements for professional licensure in other states or territories.
If this applies to you, check the Professional Licensure webpage for information on licensure requirements and licensing agencies in other states. Or, you may address questions to State Authorization at App State at firstname.lastname@example.org or 828-262-7559.