The online Middle and Secondary Teaching Graduate Certificate at Appalachian
Get your initial A-level teaching license and expand upon your undergraduate major with teaching theory, practice and preparation for today's culturally-diverse and technology-enhanced classrooms.
Through the Graduate Certificate in Middle and Secondary Teaching program at Appalachian State University, you’ll go from class to classroom in just three semesters, entering a field with high employment demand. This is a coherent program for lateral entry as well.
App State Online: Keep your life… Change your future.
- Middle grade teacher (6-9th grade)
- Secondary teacher (9-12th grade)
- Career & technical education teacher
- Middle Grades: Teach English/Language Arts, Science, Math or Social Studies at the middle school level.
- Career & Technical: Teach Business, Marketing, Technology, Family & Consumer Sciences, Health Sciences* or Trade & Industry** at the middle and high school level.
*Health Sciences: Must have a current license, certification or registration by a national and/or state-recognized program-accrediting agency as a health professions practitioner.
**Trade & Industry: Must provide evidence of having taken a minimum of 24 qualifying content semester hours in the discipline/specialty area.
- 18 credit hours delivered online (2 courses per semester, including summer)
- All Appalachian State University Education programs that lead to licensure or a similar credential require multiple site-based field experiences throughout the program as well as on-campus and regional meetings prior to and during the Clinical Internship. Learn more.
- Click for course information
Note: A transcript review will be performed by the program faculty prior to admission to determine if previous coursework meets criteria for initial licensure in your intended cognate track. Additional coursework beyond the 19-24 hours may be required depending on the course of study taken for the bachelor’s degree.
Note: Not all courses listed may be delivered to App State Online students. Refer curriculum questions to the program contact.
Eligibility and application requirements
- hold a bachelor's degree in a discipline related to the chosen teaching area
- have an overall GPA of 3.0 on all undergraduate work from a regionally accredited institution
- Meet Graduate School admission criteria
- Completed online application to graduate school
- Application fee
- Official transcripts must be submitted showing any completed degrees and transcripts showing any coursework completed at institutions other than Appalachian in the last five years
- Personal statement
Note: Test scores are not required for this program.
This is a program that can lead to licensure or certification. Appalachian State University cannot confirm whether this program will meet the requirements for professional licensure in other states or territories.
If this applies to you, check the U.S. Department of Education for information on licensure requirements and licensing agencies in other states. Or, you may address questions to State Authorization at Appalachian at email@example.com or 828-262-7559.