The online Middle and Secondary Teaching Graduate Certificate at App State
Get your initial A-level teaching license and expand upon your undergraduate major with teaching theory, practice and preparation for today's culturally-diverse and technology-enhanced classrooms.
Through the Graduate Certificate in Middle and Secondary Teaching program at Appalachian State University, you’ll go from class to classroom in just three semesters, entering a field with high employment demand. This program of study also aligns with the Residency Licensure Program.
App State Online: Change your future.
- Middle Grades Teacher (6-9th grade)
- Secondary teacher (9-12th grade)
- Middle Grades Education
- Secondary Mathematics
- Secondary Science
- 18 credit hours delivered online (2 courses per semester, including summer) as well as a 1-6 hour Clinical Internship experience in the fall or spring.
- All App State education programs that lead to an initial licensure or a similar credential require a Clinical Internship at a North Carolina public school. Learn more.
- Click for course information
Note: A transcript review will be performed by the program faculty prior to admission to determine if previous coursework meets criteria for initial licensure in your intended track. Additional coursework beyond the 21 hours may be required.
Note: Not all courses listed may be delivered to App State Online students. Refer curriculum questions to the program contact.
Eligibility and application requirements
- hold a bachelor's degree in a discipline related to the chosen teaching area from an accredited college or university with a minimum 2.7 GPA
- Meet Graduate School admission criteria
- Completed online application to graduate school
- Application fee
- Unofficial transcripts (or evaluated transcripts for degrees and coursework earned outside of the United States) should be uploaded showing any completed degrees and coursework.
Note: Official transcripts will be required prior to enrolling.
- Personal statement
Note: Test scores are not required for this program.
Appalachian State programs that lead to a professional licensure or certificate are intended to prepare students for licensure or certification in North Carolina. Check the Professional Licensure webpage for information on licensure requirements in other states.