The face-to-face Master of Arts in Special Education degree at Appalachian
Make a positive impact on children with learning disabilities. Gain skills and strategies specific to the education of special needs students with the Master of Arts in Special Education program at Appalachian State University.
This program will prepare you to work with students with intellectual disabilities, learning disabilities and/or students with emotional/behavioral disorders.
The program fulfills requirements for the advanced competencies licensure from the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction, making you eligible for employment in a variety of special education settings, including public and private schools.
App State Online: Keep your life… Change your future.
- Special education teacher
- Social services assistant
- Clinical services
- Emotional/Behavioral Disorders: Click for course information
- Intellectual Disabilities: Click for course information
- Learning Disabilities: Click for course information
- Two classes per semester with evening meeting times
- Occasional online class or weekend meeting time is possible
- Some online elements may be integrated
- Completion time: two years
(Note: Not all courses listed may be delivered to App State Online students. Refer curriculum questions to the program contact.)
Eligibility and application requirements
- Hold a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution
- Have GRE or MAT test scores no older than five years (Click for entrance exam waiver eligibility)
- Meet Graduate School admission criteria
Note: Requirements for this concentration were designed, and have been approved by the appropriate bodies at the state level, to meet the advanced competencies as mandated in the North Carolina Excellent Schools Act for Master-level (M-level) teacher education programs ONLY for students with A-level license from North Carolina or equivalent. Graduates seeking M-level license must have A-level license at the time of application for M-level license.
- Completed online application to graduate school
- Official (sealed or electronic) transcript from each college or university attended (other than Appalachian)
- Three references
- Application fee
This is a program that leads to licensure or certification. Appalachian State University cannot confirm whether this program will meet the requirements for professional licensure in other states or territories.
If this applies to you, check the U.S. Department of Education for information on licensure requirements and licensing agencies in other states. Or, you may address questions to State Authorization at Appalachian at firstname.lastname@example.org or 828-262-7559.