The face-to-face Master of Arts in Special Education degree at Appalachian
Make a positive impact on children with learning disabilities. Gain skills and strategies specific to the education of special needs students with the Master of Arts in Special Education program at Appalachian State University.
You’ll focus on effective ways to implement specialized teaching, build effective curricula and collaborate with other professionals to reach the best outcomes for students with intellectual disabilities, learning disabilities and/or emotional/behavioral disorders.
The Master of Arts in Special Education is rooted in evidence-based and research-based practices, which lead to success in a wide variety of settings including schools, private practice, agencies and home environments.
App State Online: Keep your life… Change your future.
- Special education teacher
- Social services assistant
- Clinical services
- Two classes per semester with evening meeting times
- Occasional online class or weekend meeting time is possible
- Some online elements may be integrated
- Completion time: two years
(Note: Not all courses listed may be delivered to App State Online students. Refer curriculum questions to the program contact.)
Eligibility and application requirements
- Hold a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution
- Have GRE or MAT test scores no older than five years
- Meet Graduate School admission criteria
- Completed online application to graduate school
- Official (sealed or electronic) transcripts from each college or university (other than Appalachian) attended in the last five years
- Three references
- Application fee
This is a program that can lead to licensure or certification. Appalachian State University cannot confirm whether this program will meet the requirements for professional licensure in other states or territories.
If this applies to you, check the U.S. Department of Education for information on licensure requirements and licensing agencies in other states. Or, you may address questions to State Authorization at Appalachian at firstname.lastname@example.org or 828-262-7559.