The Graduate Certificate in School Leadership at Appalachian
Be the change you want to see. Become a school principal, transform schools to get the best from educators and improve learning outcomes for students.
Appalachian State University’s flexible, online Graduate Certificate in School Leadership program will prepare you to assume an educational leadership role by meeting the North Carolina state requirements for principal licensure.
Candidates must hold a master's degree in education (or a related field) from a regionally accredited institution and have completed three years of classroom teaching (or have experience in a related area such as media specialist, guidance counselor or technology facilitator). This is a 24 semester hour program and includes six hours of school-based internship courses.
App State Online: Keep your life… Change your future.
- Assistant principal
- Department chair
This is a program that leads to licensure or certification. Appalachian State University cannot confirm whether this program will meet the requirements for professional licensure in other states or territories.
If this applies to you, check the U.S. Department of Education for information on licensure requirements and licensing agencies in other states. Or, you may address questions to State Authorization at Appalachian at email@example.com or 828-262-7559.
Coursework will be delivered online in two formats:
- Synchronous: One evening per week per class, students join their classmates and instructor for a three-hour class in real-time in virtual classroom.
- Asynchronous: Coursework may be completed on the student's own schedule, except for individualized online meetings with the instructor.
- Completion time: four semesters
- Click for course information
(Note: Not all courses listed may be delivered to App State Online students. Refer curriculum questions to the program contact.)
Eligibility and application requirements
- Meet Graduate School admission criteria
- hold a master's degree with at least 3.0 GPA from a regionally accredited institution
- have at least three years of public school teaching experience or equivalent experience in other settings (e.g., private school teaching; training in the private sector; etc.)
- have a North Carolina "A" or "M" teacher licensure or the equivalent from another state
- Completed online application to graduate school
- Official (sealed or electronic) transcript from each college or university attended (other than Appalachian)
- Three references
- Personal statement
- Application fee
Note: Test scores are not required for this program.