The Graduate Certificate in School Leadership at App State
Be the change you want to see. Become a school principal, transform schools to get the best from educators and improve learning outcomes for students.
Appalachian State University’s flexible, online Graduate Certificate in School Leadership program will prepare you to assume an educational leadership role by meeting the North Carolina state requirements for principal licensure.
Candidates must hold a master's degree in education (or a related field) from a regionally accredited institution and have completed three years of classroom teaching (or have experience in a related area such as media specialist, guidance counselor or technology facilitator). This is a 24 semester hour program and includes six hours of school-based internship courses.
App State Online: Change your future.
- Assistant principal
- Department chair
- This program blends synchronous (set meeting times in an online classroom) and asynchronous (with coursework completed on your schedule) courses
- Completion time: four semesters
- Click for course information
(Not every course listed may be delivered to App State Online students, but you will be offered all courses required for the degree.)
Eligibility and application requirements
- Meet Graduate School admission criteria
- hold a master's degree with at least 3.0 GPA from a regionally accredited institution
- have at least three years of public school teaching experience or equivalent experience in other settings (e.g., private school teaching; training in the private sector; etc.)
- have a North Carolina "A" or "M" teacher licensure or the equivalent from another state
- Completed online application to graduate school
- Official transcripts must be submitted showing any completed degrees and transcripts showing any coursework completed at institutions other than Appalachian in the last five years
- Three references
- Personal statement
- Application fee
Note: Test scores are not required for this program.
Appalachian State programs that lead to a professional licensure or certificate are intended to prepare students for licensure or certification in North Carolina. Check the Professional Licensure webpage for information on licensure requirements in other states.