The online Master of Arts in Higher Education degree at App State
Appalachian State University’s Master of Arts in Higher Education program invites you to explore the higher education environment across a range of professional perspectives.
Build a foundation on which you can encourage student growth either directly or at an administrative level. Dive into the multicultural and diversity issues affecting student development in higher education and explore organizational principles that guide colleges and universities.
You'll learn to lead complex administrative and management positions in university and college offices, national and international associations and organizations, government agencies, foundations, and corporations. Upon completing the program, you’ll have a deeper understanding of the higher education landscape as well as the strategic mindset needed to conceptualize, create and promote the educational possibilities of tomorrow.
App State Online: Change your future.
- The Community College and University Leadership concentration prepares you for mid- and upper-level management and administration positions in colleges and universities. Click for course information.
(Not every course listed may be delivered to App State Online students, but you will be offered all courses required for the degree.)
- This program blends synchronous and asynchronous coursework, utilizing a range of online platforms including Zoom and ASULearn to maximize interaction and engagement.
- Completion time: two years
Eligibility and application requirements
- hold a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university
- Meet Graduate School admission criteria
GRE or MAT waivers are available if the applicant has an undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or better
No exam waiver is automatic but will require review and approval by the Graduate School upon submission of a complete application. An approved waiver request does not guarantee acceptance into the program. A denied waiver request does not mean that a candidate is denied admission to the program, only that a standardized exam score is needed to more fully evaluate the application. Standardized test scores may be required for scholarship consideration.
Applicants whose undergraduate GPA is below 3.0 will be required to take the official general GRE or MAT exam in accordance with Graduate School policy.
- Completed online application to graduate school
- Application fee
- Official transcripts must be submitted showing any completed degrees and transcripts showing any coursework completed at institutions other than Appalachian in the last five years
- Three references
- Short essay on what the applicant believes to be the most pressing issue facing higher education today