The classroom-based Bachelor of Science degree in Special Education at Appalachian
If you want a career working with children of all academic abilities, the Bachelor of Science in Special Education available through App State Online is ideal for you.
This program leads to teacher licensure in grades K-12. It offers a newly enhanced program in special education with licensure in General Curriculum or in Adapted Curriculum.
Through this App State Online program, you'll learn the skills essential to working with exceptional students. In addition, this program gives you the knowledge, leadership skills and experience to make a difference in the classroom.
App State Online: Keep your life… Change your future.
- Special education teacher
- Teacher assistant
- Adapted curriculum, K-12: Click for course information
- General curriculum, K-12: Click for course information
(Note: Not all courses listed may be delivered to App State Online students. Refer curriculum questions to the program contact.)
Four-to-five courses per semester, spring and fall
- Student teaching is completed during the last semester, full time in a classroom setting
- Some online elements may be integrated
- Accelerated Admissions available for those wishing to pursue a graduate degree
The following are criteria required for entry. After admission, you may need additional transfer hours. The hours delivered by Appalachian and your transfer hours must equal 120 hours by the end of the program.
- Transfer Admission to the university
- Minimum of 30 transfer credit hours
Visit our transfer equivalency course search to see how your previous coursework transfers to Appalachian. For your convenience, our Pre-Application Evaluation form (watch our video to learn more) can help you determine if you meet the minimum program entry requirements.
- Before finishing this program, you must also have met Appalachian’s General Education requirements.
- Admission to Teacher Education is required by the end of the first year in the program.
- This program requires a North Carolina site-based field experience. Learn more.
Join Our Mailing List:
Out of State Licensure
Appalachian cannot confirm whether this professional licensure program will meet the requirements for professional licensure outside North Carolina; therefore, prior to enrollment, if you intend to practice in another state, you must determine if this program meets requirements for licensure in your state by contacting your appropriate licensing agencies.