The classroom-based Bachelor of Science degree in Special Education at Appalachian
If you want a career working with children of all academic abilities, the Bachelor of Science in Special Education available through App State Online is ideal for you.
This program leads to teacher licensure in grades K-12. It offers a newly enhanced program in special education with licensure in General Curriculum or in Adapted Curriculum.
Through this App State Online program, you'll learn the skills essential to working with exceptional students. In addition, this program gives you the knowledge, leadership skills and experience to make a difference in the classroom.
App State Online: Change your future.
- Special education teacher
- Teacher assistant
- Adapted curriculum, K-12: Click for course information
- General curriculum, K-12: Click for course information
(Note: Not all courses listed may be delivered to App State Online students. Refer curriculum questions to the program contact.)
- Full-time students typically take 4 to 5 classes per semester, spring and fall
- Part-time students take two evening courses per semester, year-round
- Full-time student teaching is completed in a public school classroom during the last semester of the program
- Some online elements may be integrated
- Accelerated Admissions available for those wishing to pursue a graduate degree
The following are criteria required for entry. After admission, you may need additional transfer hours. The hours delivered by Appalachian and your transfer hours must equal 120 hours by the end of the program.
- Transfer Admission to the university
- Minimum of 30 transfer credit hours
Visit our transfer equivalency course search to see how your previous coursework transfers to Appalachian.
- Before beginning your Clinical Internship, you must also have met Appalachian’s General Education requirements.
- Admission to Teacher Education is required by the end of the first year in the program.
- All Appalachian State University Education programs that lead to licensure or a similar credential require multiple site-based field experiences throughout the program as well as on-campus and regional meetings prior to and during the Clinical Internship. Learn more.
This is a program that can lead to licensure or certification. Appalachian State University cannot confirm whether this program will meet the requirements for professional licensure in other states or territories.
If this applies to you, check the U.S. Department of Education for information on licensure requirements and licensing agencies in other states. Or, you may address questions to State Authorization at Appalachian at firstname.lastname@example.org or 828-262-7559.