The online Graduate Certificate in Sociology at App State
Study human behavior, social groups and social change with Appalachian State University's Graduate Certificate in Sociology available through App State Online. Delve into both contemporary social issues and traditional institutions.
If you already have a master’s degree, you will graduate from this program ready to teach sociology at most institutions of higher education, backed by coursework that weaves together theory, practice and teacher preparation to prepare you for a meaningful career in an increasingly interconnected world.
App State Online: Change your future.
- Sociology instructor
- Guidance counselor
- Management consultant
- Courses are delivered entirely asynchronously (with coursework completed on your schedule)
- Two classes per semester, including summer
- Completion time: one year
- Click for course information
(Not every course listed may be delivered to App State Online students, but you will be offered all courses required for the degree.)
Eligibility and application requirements
- hold a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with a minimum 2.7 GPA
- Meet Graduate School admission criteria
- Completed online application to graduate school
- Application Fee
- Unofficial transcripts (or evaluated transcripts for degrees and coursework earned outside of the United States) should be uploaded showing any completed degrees and coursework.
Note: Official transcripts will be required prior to enrolling.
- Statement of Intent
Note: Test scores are not required for this program.
Request More Information
Hear from an Alumnus
“The Graduate Certificate in Sociology has very helpful professors that also focus on providing the knowledge to students to become effective future Sociology college instructors. I spent a career in law enforcement and was teaching Criminal Justice college courses. However, I wanted to learn more about how the social world is connected the criminal justice system. I found the Graduate Certificate in Sociology from Appalachian State to be just what I was looking for.”
– Justin Ovaska ‘15