The online Graduate Certificate in Sociology at Appalachian
Study human behavior, social groups and social change with Appalachian State University's Graduate Certificate in Sociology available through App State Online. Delve into both contemporary social issues and traditional institutions.
If you already have a master’s degree, you will graduate from this program ready to teach sociology at most institutions of higher education, backed by coursework that weaves together theory, practice and teacher preparation to prepare you for a meaningful career in an increasingly interconnected world.
App State Online: Keep your life… Change your future.
- Sociology instructor
- Guidance counselor
- Management consultant
- Courses are delivered entirely online and asynchronously
- Two classes per semester, including summer
- Completion time: one year
- Click for course information
(Note: Not all courses listed may be delivered to App State Online students. Refer curriculum questions to the program contact.)
Eligibility and application requirements
- Meet Graduate School admission criteria
- hold a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with a minimum of 3.0 GPA.
- Completed online application to graduate school
- Application Fee
- Official (sealed or electronic) transcripts from each college or university (other than Appalachian) attended in the last five years
- Statement of Intent
Note: Test scores are not required for this program.
Hear from an Alumnus
“The Graduate Certificate in Sociology has very helpful professors that also focus on providing the knowledge to students to become effective future Sociology college instructors. I spent a career in law enforcement and was teaching Criminal Justice college courses. However, I wanted to learn more about how the social world is connected the criminal justice system. I found the Graduate Certificate in Sociology from Appalachian State to be just what I was looking for.”
– Justin Ovaska ‘15