The online Master of Arts in Reading Education degree at App State
Appalachian State University’s Master of Arts in Reading Education offered through App State Online will help you improve reading comprehension in your K-12 classroom, putting your students on a path to academic achievement.
In this program, you will learn to strengthen and polish instructional skills for the teaching of reading. Learn to help your students overcome reading and writing difficulties and become lifelong learners.
By learning to address the literacy needs of K-12 students in today’s diverse classrooms, you will be prepared to transition to a career as a reading or literacy specialist or elevate your teaching skills in your own K-12 classroom.
App State Online: Change your future.
More information on Reading Education
- Reading specialist
- Literacy coach
- This program blends synchronous (set meeting times in an online classroom) and asynchronous (with coursework completed on your schedule) courses.
- Completion time: Two years
- Click for course information
- (Not every course listed may be delivered to App State Online students, but you will be offered all courses required for the degree.)
Eligibility and application requirements
- Hold a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university
- Meet Graduate School admission criteria
GRE or MAT waivers are available if the applicant has an undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or better; and
- 3 or more years of teaching experience; or
- 6 credit hours of graduate coursework at Appalachian State University or other accredited institution, with a grade of “B” or better, within the last 5 years.
No exam waiver is automatic but will require review and approval by the Graduate School upon submission of a complete application. An approved waiver request does not guarantee acceptance into the program. A denied waiver request does not mean that a candidate is denied admission to the program, only that a standardized exam score is needed to more fully evaluate the application. Standardized test scores may be required for scholarship consideration.
Applicants who do not meet the criteria listed above will be required to take the official general GRE or MAT exam in accordance with Graduate School policy.
- Completed online application to graduate school
- Application fee
- Unofficial transcripts (or evaluated transcripts for degrees and coursework earned outside of the United States) should be uploaded showing any completed degrees and coursework.
Note: Official transcripts will be required prior to enrolling.
- Three references
Appalachian State programs that lead to a professional licensure or certificate are intended to prepare students for licensure or certification in North Carolina. Check the Professional Licensure webpage for information on licensure requirements in other states.
Request More Information
Hear from an Alumnus
“Continuing my education by getting my master’s degree in Reading Education has prepared me to work with students in ways that I did not previously know were possible. The faculty’s knowledge and willingness to confer with me about actual issues in my classroom helped me transform my teaching.”
– Tiffany Moore