The hybrid Master of Arts in Reading Education degree at Appalachian
Appalachian State University’s Master of Arts in Reading Education offered through App State Online will help you improve reading comprehension in your K-12 classroom, putting your students on a path to academic achievement.
In this program, you will learn to strengthen and polish instructional skills for the teaching of reading. Learn to help your students overcome reading and writing difficulties and become lifelong learners.
By learning to address the literacy needs of K-12 students in today’s diverse classrooms, you will be prepared to transition to a career as a reading or literacy specialist or elevate your teaching skills in your own K-12 classroom.
App State Online: Keep your life… Change your future.
- Reading specialist
- Literacy coach
- The Classroom/Clinical concentration is intended for classroom teachers and reading specialists. With this concentration, you will be prepared to teach all aspects of reading and language arts to K-12 students. In addition, you will be eligible for Master (M) level teaching licensure. Click for course information.
(Note: Not all courses listed may be delivered to App State Online students. Refer curriculum questions to the program contact.)
- Most courses are face-to-face with evening meeting times
- For hybrid courses, there will be at least one pre-arranged face-to-face meeting
- For the hybrid or online courses, synchronous class meetings may be required as well as asynchronous coursework.
Eligibility and application requirements
- Hold a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university
- Have GRE or MAT test scores no older than five years (Click for entrance exam waiver eligibility)
- Meet Graduate School admission criteria
- Completed online application to graduate school
- Application fee
- Official (sealed or electronic) transcript from each college or university attended (other than Appalachian)
- Three references
Out of State Licensure
Appalachian cannot confirm whether this professional licensure program will meet the requirements for professional licensure outside North Carolina; therefore, prior to enrollment, if you intend to practice in another state, you must determine if this program meets requirements for licensure in your state by contacting your appropriate licensing agencies.
Hear from an Alumnus
“Continuing my education by getting my master’s degree in Reading Education has prepared me to work with students in ways that I did not previously know were possible. The faculty’s knowledge and willingness to confer with me about actual issues in my classroom helped me transform my teaching.”
– Tiffany Moore