The online Health and Physical Education Graduate Certificate at Appalachian
If you already have a bachelor’s degree and are seeking North Carolina teacher licensure in Health and Physical Education, App State’s online graduate certificate in Health and Physical Education is your pathway to teaching licensure.
This certificate is offered through the North Carolina Residency Model program. It is designed for K-12 teacher candidates who are employed by a Local Education Agency (LEA) and in possession of a bachelor’s degree but currently do not hold an NC teaching license.
Physical education teachers who possess an enduring love of physical fitness and wellness can serve as powerful role models and motivators for today’s youth as they strive to make healthy choices and reach their full potential.
Elevate your career by changing the lives of your students and making a positive impact on their health and well-being.
App State Online: Change your future.
- Health education and/or physical education teacher, grades K-12
- This program is asynchronous (with coursework completed on your schedule), with 1-2 courses per semester over 4 semesters.
- Internship completed during the final semester, full time at the school of employment
- All Appalachian State University Education programs that lead to licensure or a similar credential require multiple site-based field experiences throughout the program as well as on-campus and regional meetings prior to and during the Clinical Internship. Learn more.
- Click for course information.
Eligibility and application requirements
- hold a bachelor's degree in a discipline related to the chosen teaching area from an accredited college or university with a minimum 2.7 GPA
- Meet Graduate School admission criteria
- Completed online application to graduate school
- Application fee
- Official transcripts must be submitted showing any completed degrees and transcripts showing any coursework completed at institutions other than Appalachian in the last five years
Note: Test scores are not required for this program.
This is a program that can lead to licensure or certification. Appalachian State University cannot confirm whether this program will meet the requirements for professional licensure in other states or territories.
If this applies to you, check the U.S. Department of Education for information on licensure requirements and licensing agencies in other states. Or, you may address questions to State Authorization at Appalachian at email@example.com or 828-262-7559.