To file a complaint

Appalachian State University provides several means by which student complaints and grievances may be addressed. In all cases, students are advised to put their concerns in writing and carefully document the events that led to the complaint or grievance. Concerns should be expressed as soon as possible after the event occurs; some of the procedures have specific deadlines for filing grievances or complaints.

  1. To file a complaint visit Office of the Registrar’s Grievance and Appeal Procedures webpage.
    1. For complaints that do not fall into the categories listed on the Student Grievance and Appeals Policies webpage, the following procedure should be followed:   
      1. Attempt to resolve the matter directly with the person against whom the complaint is directed.
      2. If a resolution is not reached, submit the complaint in writing to the person's immediate supervisor. For a faculty member, this will usually be the department chair or program director. For a staff member, it will be the administrator to whom the staff member reports.  Contact the Dean of Students for advice on whom to contact if supervisor is unknown. The supervisor will investigate the matter and work with the student toward a resolution to the complaint.
      3. If not satisfied with the resolution, submit a complaint in writing to the next level supervisor (in the case of a faculty member, this will normally be a dean or associate/assistant dean in the college that the course and faculty member is in).
      4. If the issue is still not resolved, contact one of the following:
        1. For undergraduate student academic issues: Mark Ginn, Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education at 262-7660,, or

          Appalachian State University
          Academic Affairs
          ASU Box 32006
          Boone, NC 28608

        2. For graduate student academic issues: Dr. Marie Hoepfl, Associate Dean, Graduate School at 262-2691,, or

          Appalachian State University
          Cratis D. Williams School of Graduate Studies
          ASU Box 32068
          Boone, NC 28608

        3. For all other issues: Alan Rasmussen, Interim Dean of Students at 262-2060,, or

          Appalachian State University
          Office of Dean of Students
          ASU Box 32103
          Boone, NC 28608

  2. If a student’s complaint cannot be resolved through the above institutional process, they may file a complaint through the University of North Carolina, Post-Secondary Complaints via the Student Complaint Process. Students can submit their complaint using the online Student Complaint Form.  Student’s can send an email for more information or choose to mail complaint to:

    North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints
    c/o Student Complaints
    University of North Carolina System Office
    910 Raleigh Road, Chapel Hill, NC 27515-2688
    Phone: 919.962.4558

  3. If the complaint is not resolved after completing steps one and two, students may file a complaint in writing with Appalachian State University’s accreditor, SACSCOC:

    Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
    1866 Southern Lane
    Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097
    (404) 679-4500
    1. Additionally, complaints can also be filed with the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement - North Carolina (SARA-NC).  See SARA-NC’s Complaint Process webpage and webform.  The contact information for SARA-NC is:

      SARA North Carolina
      North Carolina State Education Assistance Authority
      P.O. Box 14103
      Research Triangle Park, NC 27709
      T: (855) SARA-1-NC (727-2162)
      T: (919) 549-8614, ext. 4667

    2. For complete list of state portal director’s please see the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements webpage.
  4. Should a student’s complaint not be rectified after completing Appalachian State University’s process, the student may seek advisement within their state of residence.

Complaint Resolution Contact Information by State:

Alabama Commission on Higher Education
P. O. Box 302000
Montgomery, AL 36130-2000
Phone: (334) 242-2211
Alaska Commission on Postsecondary Education
PO Box 110505
Juneau, AK 99811-0505
Phone: (907) 465-2962
Arizona State Board for Private Postsecondary Education
1740 W. Adams, Suite 30085
Phoenix, AZ 85007
Phone: (602) 542-5709
Arkansas Department of Higher Education
423 Main Street, Suite 400
Little Rock, AR 72201
Phone: (501) 371-2000
California Bureau of Private Postsecondary Education
2535 Capitol Oaks Drive, Suite 400
Sacramento, CA 95833
Phone: (916) 431-6959
Colorado Department of Higher Education
1560 Broadway, Suite 1600
Denver, CO 80202
Phone: (303) 862-3001
Connecticut Board of Regents for Higher Education
61 Woodland Street
Hartford, CT 06105-2326
Phone: (860)-723-000
Delaware Department of Education
The Townsend Building
401 Federal Street Suite 2
Dover, DE 19901-3639
Phone: (302) 735-4000
District of Columbia Office of the State Superintendent of Education
Education Licensure Commission
1050 First St. NE, Fifth Floor
Washington, DC 20002
Phone: (202) 727-6436
Florida Department of Education
325 W. Gaines Street Suite 1414
Tallahassee, FL 32399-0400
Phone: (850) 245-0505
Georgia Nonpublic Postsecondary Education Commission
2082 E Exchange Pl. #220
Tucker, GA 30084-5334
Phone: (770) 414-3300
Hawaii State Board of Education
Office of Consumer Protection Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs
Honolulu, HI 96813
Phone: (808) 586-2630
Idaho State Board of Education
Attn: State Coordinator for Private Colleges and Proprietary Schools
650 West State Street, Suite 307
P.O. Box 83720
Boise, ID 83720-0037
Phone: (208) 334-2270
Illinois Board of Higher Education
1 N. Old State Capitol Plaza, Suite 333
Springfield, Illinois 62701-1377
Phone: (217) 782-2551
Indiana Commission on Proprietary Education
Board for Proprietary Education
Indiana Commission for Higher Education
101 West Ohio Street, Suite 300
Indianapolis, IN 46204-4206
Phone: (317) 232-1033
Iowa Student Aid Commission
475 SW Fifth Street, Suite D
Des Moines, IA 50309
Phone: (515) 725-3400
Kansas Board of Regents
1000 SW Jackson Street Suite 520
Topeka, KS 66612-1368
Phone: (785) 430-4240
Kentucky Council on Postsecondary Education
100 Airport Road
Frankfort, KY 40601
Phone: (502) 573-1555
Louisiana Board of Regents
1201 N. Third St., Suite 6-200
Baton Rouge, LA 70802
Phone: (225) 326-6499
Maine Department of Education
23 State House Station
Augusta, ME 04333-0023
Phone: (207) 624-6600
Maryland Higher Education Commission
6 N. Liberty Street
Baltimore, MD 21201
Phone: (410) 767-3300
Massachusetts Board of Higher Education
One Ashburton Place Room 1401
Boston, MA 02108
Phone: (617) 994-6950
Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs
Corporations, Securities, & Commercial Licensing Bureau Licensing Division
PO Box 30018
Lansing, MI 48909
Phone: (517) 241-7000
Minnesota Office of Higher Education
1450 Energy Park Drive, Suite 350
St. Paul, MN 55108-5227
Phone: (651) 642-0567
Mississippi Commission on College Accreditation
3825 Ridgewood Road
Jackson, MS 39211-6453
Phone: (601) 432-6372
Missouri Department of Higher Education
P.O. Box 1469
Jefferson City, MO 65102-1469
Phone: (573) 751-2361
Montana University System
Office of Commissioner of Higher Education
PO Box 203201
Helena, MT 59620-3201
Phone: (406) 444-6570
Nebraska Coordinating Commission for Postsecondary Education
P.O. Box 95005
Lincoln, NE 68509-5005
Phone: (402) 471-2874
Nevada Department of Education  
Nevada System of Higher Education
2601 Enterprise Road
Reno, NV 89512
Phone: (702) 784-4901
New Hampshire Department of Education
101 Pleasant Street
Concord, NH 03301- 3860
Phone: (603) 271-3494
New Jersey Office of Secretary of Higher Education
PO Box 315
Trenton, NJ 08625-0315
Phone: (609) 984-1096
New Mexico Higher Education Department
2044 Galisteo Street, Suite 4
Santa Fe, NM 87505
Phone: (505) 476-8400
New York Office of College and University Evaluation
New York State Education Department
89 Washington Avenue
Room 960 EBA
Albany, NY  12234
Phone: (518) 474-3852
North Carolina Community College System Office of Proprietary Schools
200 West Jones St.
Raleigh, North Carolina 27603
Phone: (919) 807-7100
North Carolina Post-Secondary Education
University of North Carolina System Office
c/o Student Complaints
910 Raleigh Rd
Chapel Hill, NC 27515-2688
Phone: (919) 962-1000
North Dakota University System
10th Floor, State Capitol
600 East Boulevard Ave, Dept. 215
Bismarck, ND 58505-0230
Phone: (701) 328-2960
Ohio State Board of Career Colleges and Schools
30 East Broad Street, Suite 2481
Columbus, OH 43215
Phone: (614) 466-2752
 Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education
655 Research Parkway Suite 200
Oklahoma City, OK 73104
Phone: (405) 225-9100
Oregon Department of Education
255 Capitol Street NE
Salem, OR 97310-0203
Phone: (503) 947-5600
Pennsylvania Department of Education
333 Market Street
Harrisburg, PA 17126-0333
Phone: (717) 783-8228
Puerto Rico Council on Higher Education
PO Box 19900
San Juan, PR 00910-1900
Phone: (787) 722-2121
 Rhode Island Board of Governors for Higher Education
Shepard Building 80 Washington Street
Providence, RI 02903
Phone: (401) 456-6000
South Carolina Commission on Higher Education
1122 Lady Street, Suite 300
Columbia, SC 29201
Phone: (803) 737-3476
South Dakota Board of Regents
306 E. Capitol Ave Suite 200
Pierre, SD 57501-2545
Phone: (803) 737-3455
Tennessee Higher Education Commission
Parkway Towers, Suite 1900
Nashville, TN 37243
Phone: (615) 741-5293
Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board
P.O. Box 12788
Austin, TX 78711-2788
Phone: (512) 427-6101
U.S. Virgin Islands
Government of the Virgin Islands of the United States
3000 Estate Golden Rock, Suite 9
St Croix, Virgin Islands 00820
Phone: (304) 773-6449
Utah Division of Consumer Protection
160 East 300 South
Salt Lake City, Utah 84111
Phone: (801) 530-6601
Vermont Department of Education
219 North Main Street, Suite 402
Barre, VT 05641
Phone: (802) 479-1030
 State Council of Higher Education for Virginia
101 N. 14TH St. James Monroe Building
Richmond, VA 23219
Phone: (804) 225-2600
Washington Student Achievement Council
917 Lakeridge Way SW
PO Box 43430
Olympia, WA 98504-3430
Phone: (360) 753-7625
West Virginia Higher Education Policy Commission
1018 Kanawha Blvd E. Suite 700
Charleston, WV 25301-2800
Phone: (304) 558-0261
State of Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services
Division of Legal Services and Compliance
P.O. Box 7190
Madison, WI 53707-7190
Phone: (608) 266-2112
Wyoming Department of Education
2300 Capitol Avenue Hathaway Building
2nd Floor Cheyenne, WY 82002-0050
Phone: (307) 777-6210