The online Master of Arts in Middle Grades Education degree at App State
The Master of Arts in Middle Grades Education at Appalachian State University is a flexible, online program that will prepare you to become an effective teacher of the middle grades.
Courses provide specialized preparation for individuals seeking to teach in grades six through nine.
This App State Online program meets the advanced competencies as mandated in the North Carolina Excellent Schools Act for Master-level teacher education programs, leading to a graduate level “M” licensure.
This nationally recognized program is ready for you if you hold a valid "A" teaching license (the "A" license does not have to be in middle grades).
App State Online: Change your future.
- Middle grades teacher
- High school teacher (9th grade)
- Lead teacher
- Language arts: Click for course information
- Mathematics: Click for course information
- Science: Click for course information
- Social studies: Click for course information
If you are without teaching experience in the middle grades, you must successfully complete an internship by taking CI 5900 Internship/Practicum (3 s.h.). This may result in the total number of hours exceeding 39 s.h.
Eligibility and application requirements
- hold a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution.
- hold a North Carolina "A" licensure or the equivalent from another state if seeking licensure.
- have GRE or MAT scores no older than five years
- Meet Graduate School admission criteria
- Completed online application to graduate school
- Official transcripts must be submitted showing any completed degrees and transcripts showing any coursework completed at institutions other than Appalachian in the last five years
- Three references
- Application fee
Appalachian State programs that lead to a professional licensure or certificate are intended to prepare students for licensure or certification in North Carolina. Check the Professional Licensure webpage for information on licensure requirements in other states.