The online Graduate Certificate in Aging, Health, and Society at App State
Appalachian State University’s Graduate Certificate in Aging, Health, and Society program teaches students about adult development and aging and helps them develop the skills to help older adults stay healthy, active and involved in the community.
This program will prepare you to excel in one of the fastest-growing job markets. You will learn to enhance older adults’ quality of life by helping them access the programs, services, health care and housing options they need.
This flexible, App State Online program is ideal for individuals who already have some health care experience or experience with the aging population or who are looking to make a career change into a secure field.
Appalachian's Aging, Health, and Society program is approved by the NC Division of Health Service Regulation to offer the assisted living Administrator-in-Training program.
App State Online: Change your future.
More information on Aging, Health, and Society
- Assisted living facility administrator
- Home health aide
- Courses are delivered entirely asynchronously (with coursework completed on your schedule)
- No on-campus requirements
- Two classes per semester
- Completion time: Two semesters
- Click for course information
(Not every course listed may be delivered to App State Online students, but you will be offered all courses required for the degree.)
NOTE: This program offers but does not require an internship as one of its four courses. The professional development internship is designed in consultation with the certificate's academic program director. For students interested in long-term care, a state-approved Assisted Living Facility Administrator-in-Training (ALF-AIT) program leading to licensure as an ALF administrator is available.
Eligibility and application requirements
- hold a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with a minimum 2.7 GPA
- Meet Graduate School admission criteria
- Completed online application to graduate school
- Application fee
- Unofficial transcripts (or evaluated transcripts for degrees and coursework earned outside of the United States) should be uploaded showing any completed degrees and coursework.
Note: Official transcripts will be required prior to enrolling.
- Writing sample describing the applicant’s relevant academic, work or volunteer experience, and the applicant’s reasons for applying to the program
Note: Test scores are not required for this program.