The online Graduate Certificate in Aging, Health, and Society at Appalachian
Appalachian State University’s Graduate Certificate in Aging, Health, and Society program teaches students about adult development and aging and helps them develop the skills to help older adults stay healthy, active and involved in the community.
This program can prepare you to enhance the rapidly growing older adult population's quality of life by helping them access the programs, services, health care and housing options they need
This flexible, App State Online program is ideal for individuals who already have some health care experience or experience with the aging population or who are looking to make a career change into a secure field.
Appalachian's Aging, Health, and Society program is approved by the NC Division of Health Service Regulation to offer the assisted living Administrator-in-Training program.
App State Online: Keep your life… Change your future.
- Assisted living facility administrator
- Home health aide
- Courses are delivered entirely online and asynchronously
- No on-campus requirements
- Two classes per semester
- Completion time: Two semesters
- Click for course information
(Note: Not all courses listed may be delivered to App State Online students. Refer curriculum questions to the program contact.)
NOTE: This program offers but does not require an internship as one of its four courses. The professional development internship is designed in consultation with the certificate's academic program director. For students interested in long-term care, a state-approved Assisted Living Facility Administrator-in-Training (ALF-AIT) program leading to licensure as an ALF administrator is available.
Eligibility and application requirements
Applicants must hold a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with a minimum of 3.0 GPA
- Completed online application to graduate school
- Application fee
- Official (sealed or electronic) transcript from each college or university attended (other than Appalachian)
- Writing sample describing the applicant’s relevant academic, work or volunteer experience, and the applicant’s reasons for applying to the program
Note: Test scores are not required for this program.